Close Menu
Iran Report
  • Home
  • Iran News
    • ALL IRAN NEWS
    • INTERNATIONAL
      • Asia
      • Europe
      • USA
  • Editorials
  • Rights Watch
  • Los Angeles News
  • Los Angeles Events
    • CALENDAR
    • LIST
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture

Subscribe to Iran Report

Stay informed about the latest news and editorials concerning Iran.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Latest News
  • Iran detains 21 Christian converts amid postwar crackdown, rights group says
  • Arrested Without Cause As Executions and Paranoia Grip Iran
  • Survivor of Israel’s attack on Iran’s Evin prison describes a ‘slow death’
  • Iranian Refugees Detained by ICE in Los Angeles
  • Trump says Israel and Iran agree to ‘complete and total ceasefire’
  • Iran’s Parliament Votes To Close Strait Of Hormuz Shipping Route
  • Trump claims U.S. strikes “obliterated” Iran’s key nuclear facilities
  • Trump Says US Will Decide Attacking Iran Within 2 Weeks
Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
Iran ReportIran Report
fa Persian
en English
  • Home
  • Iran News
    • ALL IRAN NEWS
    • INTERNATIONAL
      • Asia
      • Europe
      • USA
  • Editorials
  • Rights Watch
  • Los Angeles
    • LOS ANGELES NEWS
    • EVENTS
      • CALENDAR
      • LIST
  • Sports
  • Arts
Iran Report
fa   en
Home»Rights Watch»Swedish Court Finds Iranian Guilty Over Mass Executions
Rights Watch

Swedish Court Finds Iranian Guilty Over Mass Executions

Some Hope for 1980s Victims’ Families in Struggle for Justice
July 14, 2022Updated:May 11, 20252 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Threads
Photos of victims at a memorial commemorating those killed during the mass executions in the 1980s, Khavaran cemetery in Tehran, Iran, 2020. © 2020 Private

By Azin Mohajerin (Source: Human Rights Watch)

“We are not looking for revenge, we came here for justice.”

Those were the words of Mohammad Azami, a former prisoner in Iran, who lost 14 members of his family in Iran’s mass execution of prisoners during the summer of 1988. Today, Azami heard the court issue its guilty verdict against Hamid Noury, an Iranian national, for crimes, including war crime and murder, committed in 1988. The judges sentenced Noury, an assistant prosecutor during these mass executions, to life in prison.

In July 1988, Ayatollah Rouhollah Khomeini, Iran’s Supreme Leader at the time, issued a fatwa (religious order) designating a committee to review the cases of detained members of the banned Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO), an armed opposition group. The order also called for the execution of prisoners who remained “steadfast” in their support of the group. That summer, authorities summarily executed thousands of political prisoners from MKO supporters and other leftist political parties.

For decades, families of victims and survivors of the mass executions have sought justice. In June, Human Rights Watch published analysis arguing that these mass executions amount to crimes against humanity. The document examines evidence gathered by survivors and rights groups pointing to senior officials implicated in overseeing these crimes, and possible avenues for justice, including through universal jurisdiction, where crimes in one country are tried in another.

While many avenues for prosecuting heinous crimes in Iran are blocked, the principle of universal jurisdiction opens a pathway for survivors. The Swedish trial marks the first time an Iranian official accused of participating in 1988 mass executions has appeared before a judicial body, giving a unique opportunity for survivors to testify in a court of law. Over nine months, dozens of survivors previously imprisoned due to membership in banned organizations testified about their detention conditions, torture they suffered, and summary executions of prisoners they witnessed.

Iranian officials have defended these executions on numerous occasions. On July 10, Mohmmad Nayyeri, a member of the committee that allegedly oversaw the executions, said in an interview that “it [the time of the executions], was a unique situation, and if it was not for Ayatollah Khomeini’s solid decision, we wouldn’t have had security today.”

Today, victims of this dark chapter in Iran’s contemporary history have achieved a small step towards justice.

Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Threads

Related Posts

Iran detains 21 Christian converts amid postwar crackdown, rights group says

July 12, 2025

Arrested Without Cause As Executions and Paranoia Grip Iran

July 1, 2025

Survivor of Israel’s attack on Iran’s Evin prison describes a ‘slow death’

June 30, 2025
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Top Articles

Iran detains 21 Christian converts amid postwar crackdown, rights group says

July 12, 2025

Arrested Without Cause As Executions and Paranoia Grip Iran

July 1, 2025

Survivor of Israel’s attack on Iran’s Evin prison describes a ‘slow death’

June 30, 2025

Iranian Refugees Detained by ICE in Los Angeles

June 27, 2025
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Threads

Subscribe to Iran Report

Stay informed about the latest news and editorials concerning Iran.

About Us
About Us

Iran Report covers domestic and international news concerning Iran and the Iranian community abroad.

We are based in Los Angeles, California and can be contacted via e-mail for questions.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
© 2025 Iran Report. Designed by Baback S.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.